1. The medieval, cobbled, alley-like streets, particularly our favorite, the Via delle Volte
2. It is an eminent bicycle-friendly city by Italian standards - and we took advantage of that.
3. There is no big tourist crowd, while there is plenty of sights and beauty (Medieval, Renaissance).
4. The charm of winding cobbled streets
5. Il Castello Estense, a castle that is like an illustration in a storybook.
1. Few tourists mean that Ferrara is unfairly underrated.
2. Their strangely shaped croissant called ciupeta was visually attractive but turned out to taste too dry.
3. Too many stores are closed on Mondays - so it was a mistake to have a one-day visit on a Monday.