1. We enjoyed having a vacation where the locals live and not where the other vacationers stay.
2. Restaurants are much cheaper than in the touristy south of the island.
3. the mountainous surrounding of the city
4. the nearby, 1,3 km long Teresitas Beach (Playa de Las Teresitas) with yellow sand (brought from Sahara in the late 1960s to replace the original black volcanic sand)
5. The wonderful Flamboyant Trees (or Flame Trees, Royal Poinciana)
6. Some nice old and modern street sculptures
7. the vast, spectacular artificial lake at the Plaza de España
8. the lovely Plaza de Weyler
9. the magnificent official buildings in Calle Méndez Nuñez
10. We liked to spend some times in Parque Municipal Garcia Sanabria and admiring the tropical and subtropical plants
11. Calle Enrique Wolfson, a small street with adorable houses
1. Some homeless people (mostly under 40) and bored African immigrants (men under 30)
2. I'm not too fond of dry riverbeds, so neither the Barranco de Santos of this city appealed to me.
3. Thanks to its Old Town, Las Palmas of Grand Canaria is more interesting than Santa Cruz
4. dog poops on sidewalks
5. in some shops, the hostile reaction when we wanted to pay with 50 or 100 Euro banknotes
6. more drunken people than in mainland Spain
7. The wider surroundings of the Auditorio are not pleasant
8. Very few public toilets
9. We had a bad feeling about the war monument on Plaza Espana after we learned that it was built by political prisoners in 1947, during the Franco dictatorship in Spain
Monument to the Fallen - Krista photo