Likes & Dislikes


“Among Germans, Munich is the most desirable city in the country, with many wishing to move here. Not without reason: the Alps are almost next door, there are many nearby lakes of various sizes for recreation, life is not expensive, the Bavarian (car) industry offers plentiful job opportunities, and the city has a lively cultural life. Last but not least, if the cold, grey winters start to get depressing, flights from the nearby international airport can take you anywhere in the world.

After visiting the Deutsche Museum (the world’s largest technical and scientific museum – with sections on space research too) I walked through the city center, buying hers at the Viktualienmarkt and sating my hunger at a branch of Nordsee. In the latter, however, and for the first time in my life, I was disappointed with the meal.

The restaurant itself is designed in an odd way, with a strict separation between the plebs downstairs and the first-class seating upstairs. The former have to eat standing, while the latter get to sit in a circle around a bar with a show kitchen in the middle.
This surprise was quickly followed by another: the soup was absurdly hot – at least 80°C. Though I was extremely hungry, I had to wait about five minutes before it had cooled enough to eat. Other than that it was fine, and the bread roll was fresh.

After rediscovering Marienplatz and its surroundings, I set off to explore Schwabing (metro station: Universität). Though it wasn’t quite as quaint as, say, Kreuzberg in Berlin, it was still possible to find some fun, kooky gift shops and cozy cafés.





Munich - U-Bahn - d.r. photo

Munich - Cicle rickshaw - k.a. photo



Munich - Käsespätzle (Macaroni & Cheese With Caramelized Onions) - b.s. photo

Munich - Schweinshaxe - roasted, skin-on pork hock (knuckle)- B.S. photo

Munich - Weisswurst (White Sausage) - made from minced veal and pork back bacon - b.m. photo

Munich - Kaiserschmarrn (thick, light, buttery pancake) - m.a. photo



Munich - Cuckoo-clocks - k.a. photo



Munich - Hofbräuhaus München - Das Original - Tom's photo

Munich - Englisher Garten - b.s. photo

Munich - Bavarian folk dance - s.e. photo

Public safety

  • Don’t walk around as an easy target for pickpockets in crowded spots. Particular caution needed during Oktoberfest and on the Christmas Markets. Don’t carry around too much cash, and hide your wallet in a hard-to-reach place.
  • When you are at the grocery store, don’t put your wallet in your shopping basket
  • When you come across aggressive youngsters (maybe in front of a club, or near the central train station at night), steer clear. Notify a security guard or the police (110) in alarming situations.

Munich - Polizei


Destination in brief

Munich is the central city of Bavaria.

Population (in 2020): 1.2 million - Munich is the third-largest city in Germany

Average net monthly salary (in 2020): 2700 Euro - (Germany's average:2300 Euro)

Munich is the second most expensive German city (Stuttgart is the first). 


Munich doubled in size in the last 70 years.

The many alpine lakes south of Munich are part of the pleasures of the city. 

The river Isar in Munich is a clear and small river coming right from the Alps.


Locals like to complain about the weather. In 99% of the cases, the talk is about dry or wet, hot or cold, depending on the season. In the remaining 1% of the cases, they can’t discuss any of these because their mouth is full of sauerkraut, or they are just gulping down a sip of beer.



Munich - Siegestor, middle of the 19th-century triumphal arch - Inscription in English: Dedicated to victory, destroyed by war, urging peace" - K Elter photo


Neighborhoods like Am Hart, Hasenbergl, Neuperlach are considered “not so nice” because the proportion of immigrants is higher than in other places.

Areas of Munich that are considered wealthy are: Schwabing, Maxvorstadt, Altstadt, Bogenhausen, Lehel, Gern, Au, Sölln, Neuhausen, Grünwald

Munich - BMW HQ - K Elter photo

Munich - l.v. photo



Germany - authentic Bavarians - Elter photo



Munich - Marienplatz - Old Town Hall - v.j. photo

Munich - Marienplatz - New Town Hall - v.j. photo


Munich - Alte Pinakothek - The Destruction of Jerusalem by Titus - a Wilhelm von Kaulbach painting - d.d. photo

Munich - Alte Pinakothek - n.a. photo

Munich - Neue Pinakothek - p.f. photo

Munich - Neue Pinakothek - Portrait Of Margaret Stonborough Wittgenstein By Gustav Klimt - e.m. photo


Munich - Ludwigsvorstadt-Isarvorstadt quarter - St. Paul's Church (Catholic) - Elter photo

Munich - St. Michael's church (Jesuit) - h.i. photo

Munich - Tower of the St Peter's Church - K Elter photo


Munich - Isartor - K Elter photo


Munich - tower of the Old Town Hall - K Elter photo

Related posts


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

seventeen − 4 =