1. Good places for snorkelling (Playa Porto Marie) and scuba diving. Plenty of water sport options.
2. Willemstad’s entertaining mix of Dutch reserve and Caribbean flair (“Amsterdam meets the tropics”)
3. Our favourite beaches: Kenepa (good facilities), Cas Abao (calm sea) and Lagun (popular among locals)
4. We found it easy to explore the island with a rental car
5. Everybody speaks English and you can pay with US dollars everywhere
6. Locals are friendly and easy-going
7. Excellent choice of quality hotels
8. Little Curaçao, a wonderful little island off the south coast of Curaçao.
9. The strange Queen Emma Bridge
10. The funny sound of the local Papiamento language (a mix of Spanish and Dutch)
1. Most goods and services are very expensive – especially taxis.
2. Not 100% safe
3. Dirty, neglected side streets in the interior of the island
4. Hordes of American cruise-ship passengers periodically invade the centre of Willemstad
5. Unreliable public bus timetables
6. Few green areas on the island
7. Few beaches are long enough for a good walk
8. May not be the Caribbean island of your dreams – the European influence here is very strong
9. Aruba has nicer beaches
10. Best to avoid the beaches of Willemstad, which are overcrowded, especially at the weekend