1. The beaches of Tulum National Park have a beautiful natural backdrop, not highrise buildings.
2. The view of the Maya ruins from the beach next to the El Castillo
3. The the gardens around the Maya ruins are well-kept
4. Playa Paraiso is a postcard-perfect beach.
5. To see the only Mayan ruins built at the seaside.
6. Tulum is safer than Cancún - no problem to walk anywhere in the night
1. Most of the accommodation in the village is far from the beaches.
2. The pueblo (basically the center of Tulum) is more for the backpackers.
3. The beach next to the ruins is not so good for swimming.
4. Maya ruins: 100 pesos (about 5,50 USD) parking fee extra to the 80 pesos (about 4,50 USD) - (January 2021)
5. irritating efforts to squeeze money from the naive foreign visitors - I don't like to be seen as a milking cow.
6. Massages on the beach are overpriced at 40 USD. (8-10 USD in Thailand before COVID)
7. For vacation we find Playa del Carmen better than Tulum.