1. The beach sand is dazzlingly white made of coral dust.
2. There are private hotel beach zones on the beach, but this does not prevent any vacationer from freely walking many kilometers on the beach. Thus, a private beach does not mean owning the entire stretch of coast section at all. Along the water, on the sand, anyone is free to walk. (According to Mexican law, all beaches are publicly-owned land that can not be appropriated by any private business.)
You can even walk the entire 25 km (15,5 mi) long beach stretch of the Hotel Zone without encountering any closures.
3. The second-largest coral reef of the world runs in front of Cancun's shores, in about a hundred meters of distance. That creates excellent conditions for snorkeling and diving.
4. The downtown of Cancún is not particularly attractive, but it has at least an almost real Mexican character, as that is where the locals live.
5. the unbelievable azure blue color of the ocean, transparent seawater at Playa Delfines
6. the day trip to Isla Mujeres and stay on the Playa Norte, a wonderful beach
7. The Underwater Museum (MUSA) is very unique.
8. emerald green colors of the ocean
1. The Hotel Zone (Zona Hotelera) of Cancún has no Mexican authenticity.
2. Those looking for a tranquil vacation should not opt for Cancun. Hotels and resorts have loud music and noisy clientele. The exceptions prove the rule.
3. The beach is not as wide as it used to be,
4. There are dangerous currents in the sea that challenge even excellent swimmers. (People who are unsure about their swimming ability must stay very close to the coast.)
5. The red flag is often on, so some unlucky vacationers are compelled to skip swimming in the sea for their entire stay
6. Bad for the smaller kids: the ocean is almost always wavy to a certain extent.
7. The coast at Cancun is overbuilt with hotels, so there are practically no green areas, except those within the larger resorts.
6. Many hotels, resorts in the Hotel Zone have an unimaginative architecture.
7. beyond Hotel Zone no good bakeries - all breads are sweetened
8. Since Cancún is not a naturally grown city, there is no old church or a traditional market, and the town seems very artificial, an by the way look somewhat sleazy.
9. Mercado 28 is a typical souvenir market for tourists. There are many far more atmospheric artisan markets elsewhere in Mexico. (At least the street food is pretty good in Mercado 28.)
10. Although by law, all beach sections of the Hotel Zona are public, hotels and resorts arbitrarily consider the beach areas in front of them to be private.
11. We were unlucky - Playa Delfines - high waves - red flag