1. Phuket is an optimal Thai vacation destination for first-timer in Thailand
2. In Phuket City (sort of capital of the island), you can find authentic Thai, ordinary local life
3. Patong can compete with Pattaya for the frivolous nightlife, moreover has far more attractive beaches
4. The selection of restaurants is enormous. There are all kinds of price levels; you can have lunch in a simple eatery, and dinner in a fancier establishment
5. The European clientele is somewhat more consolidated and moderate than in Pattaya.
6. Phuket is convenient to find a wishful type of vacation, as the island has parts of a different character, e.g., lively, calm, suitable for families, couples, or friends looking for fun
7. Beautiful spots can be reached by boat (eg, Phi Phi Lae, Phang Nga Bay)
8. Big Buddha statue
9. Laem Ka Beach, Naithon Beach, and even more so, Layan Beach
10. At Christmas, the commemoration of the tsunami victims, millions of floating candles over the ocean in the evening, a touching event.
1. The interior of the island is not particularly beautiful, though it is authentically Thai
2. Perhaps the most expensive holiday destination in Thailand, restaurants are overpriced, the mediocre value of money
3. The beaches of Patong are overcrowded, but at least the seawater is acceptable, unlike in Pattaya
4. Large-scale mass tourism with its usual inconveniences, Phuket is not a romantic destination, mainly because of overinvestment
5. The pushy Indian guys of the tailor shops often made me nervous
6. Plenty of miserable stray dogs, and even worse: in the dark hours, see some disgusting rats running around in some sidestreets
7. Too many annoying Russians - for some reason, they shout always the name of their country when drunken
8. We underestimated the distances within the island when planning excursions in the interior.
9. When we needed to use a public toilet, we had to perform a squat position.
10. Taxis and tuk-tuks are scandalously expensive, five times as much as in Pattaya (a mafia-style price cartel rules)
11. Many beaches and streets are uncared-for, dirty, rubbishy - Thai people don't bother about their public environment.